Returning the Favor

May 30, 2012 at 8:58 pm Leave a comment

Last Saturday morning I was zipping west in the Subaru along the route of the Cottonwood 200 bike ride when I saw a group of cyclists huddled by the side of the road. They flagged me down and noticed the Sweetpea bobbling on the bike rack as I pulled the car off the pavement. Relief flooded their faces. I was an angel sent by the cycling gods.

One rider stuck his head through the open passenger window and described how his group had come upon a lone cyclist curled up next to a bike in the road. The downed rider didn’t know where he was or how he’d gotten there. He had no idea what had caused the crash. Everyone assumed he had a concussion. Someone needed to take him to the hospital. Then the rider stopped talking and looked expectantly at me. “Has anyone called 911?” I asked. He replied, “We tried, but he refused it,” then quickly insisted, “You have to take him to the hospital.” I glanced over my shoulder to see the others protectively circling a bloodied man seated by the side of the road. Aw, hell.

Everything had seemed so straightforward the night before, when a ridiculously hot and windy forecast convinced me to drive into the Flint Hills instead of riding the entire 80-mile first day of the Cottonwood. The plan was to ditch the car at a SAG (Support And Gear) and ride the prettiest stretch of prairie in out-and-back loops, staying within 20 miles of the car. I love the Cottonwood 200, a three-day group ride held every Memorial Day weekend, but I don’t do well in heavy wind and heat.

“Better safe than sorry” had driven me right into an emergency anyway. Any other time, I’d have called 911 on the cell phone. This time, I looked once more over my shoulder and saw the face of the stricken man for the first time. He was standing feebly on one leg and looking back at me through the rear window. I recognized him even with his bloodied face and swollen forehead. Holy cow, it was Ken.

Three years ago, Ken saved my butt on a difficult ride when, for eight consecutive days, the heat index soared above 100F but the organizers refused to support the shorter routes they’d advertised. Ken held impromptu meetings nightly in which he laid out alternate routes. The group met him each morning before dawn and rolled out in formation. I came to think of Ken as our Rogue Leader, and us as his Rogue Squadron. Without Ken, we’d never have finished the ride.

And that is why, last Saturday, I patted the passenger seat and told Ken’s protector, “Bring him right here.” I didn’t even spread a blanket to catch the drops of blood. I drove him directly to a Topeka hospital where we both entered the ER clad in Spandex. I called his wife and made sure the security guard stashed his bike properly in a locked closet before going on my way. Later that same day, I swept two other riders who couldn’t finish. On Sunday I helped organize the SAG gear and food, and on Monday I volunteered at a SAG stop. I didn’t get in many cycling miles, but I did pay it forward and that was rewarding in its own way.

Hey, Ken–now, we’re even.


Entry filed under: Bicycling, Crashes, Recreational rides. Tags: , .

Mulberries Climbing the Hill

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed

Passionate about Bicycling

I don't bicycle for a living, but I do bicycle to live. It's that simple.

Get Spoked

Get Spoked

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 26 other followers


2012: 3,624 miles total
2011: 1,632 miles total
2010: 3,132 miles total
2009: 2,840 miles total

%d bloggers like this: